Saturday, March 31, 2012

GRA180: Alphabetic Landscape

For our second to last project in Drawing class (GRA180), we had to choose a word from a list, for example: play, work or ride, or get a word approved by our professor. The word I chose is 'deter', which means to discourage someone from doing something through means of doubt, fear or intimidation. The idea of the project is to create an Illustration that helps define the word.

My first design was also my strongest design as seen by my professor and my classmates. This will be the one that gets refined for the final product. The idea of a person concealing their identity with something like a gas mask is a very unusual and intimidating thing to come across. The angry eyes add to the deterrence through emotion.


This is my second design. This one I find is rather ominous, yet still conveys a bold message. This design touches on deterrence through weapons and violence, something our society is all to familiar with.


Here's the final design, inked and cross-hatched. Canvas size: 6"x9.75" on a 12x18 canvas.




No comments:

Post a Comment