Monday, August 6, 2012

GRA241: Remake of the "Birth of Venus" by Botticelli

For our final assignment in GRA241, instead of doing the linocut assignment, we were tasked with taking a famous work of art and remaking it in our own personal style.

I chose the "Birth of Venus" by Botticelli. For the remake, I wanted to have the girl front and centre; I really wanted her to stand out in the piece. To me, she's the primary element that holds the piece together, everything else is secondary. I had a hard time trying to draw the human form of the woman carrying the dress; the dress she was wearing is big and loose so it covers up her form which makes it harder to draw. So I substituted for two doves carrying a white sheet of fabric. Doves symbolize peace and innocence which is another element I wanted to show in this piece. I left out the two characters on the left because I felt that they weren't as significant as "Venus"  in this piece.

Overall, I feel like this assignment was way more fun than what the linocut assignment had to offer. It is the first big illustration piece I've done in a LONG time and I certainly enjoyed creating this piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment